Monday, March 18, 2013

And the Oscar goes to...

After last night, I know I am in no way eligible for the Mother of the Year Award. 

I bet you’re thinking, “How can that be? You wrote the book!” 

Well, it’s a good thing I am a truthful kinda girl, otherwise I wouldn’t be sharing this story with you. But alas, I must confess and beg you to throw away your judgment and your rose-colored glasses. This parenting gig is hard and we are simple, imperfect people, who sometimes seriously screw up...    

My youngest bundle of joy brought me this gorgeous beaded bracelet. It was intricate and very well made with bright colors and a beaded pattern. He happily proclaimed to me that he found it in our couch. 

“Hmmm,” I smiled at him, “our couch, huh?”

“Yup,” He smiled back. 

“I find that very interesting because our lack of company in general, would indicate that it is highly unlikely that someone lost it in our couch. And to compound my confusion, this is a very nice bracelet. If someone had lost this treasure during a visit to our home, why haven’t we heard from them?” I ask him, no longer smiling. 

“I’m not lying!” He wails, “I found it in the couch!”

“Well then, it would seem we have a magic couch.” I then proceed to kneel before our sofa and start to chant, “Oh magic couch, I am just a poor soul in need of diamonds, emeralds, and pearls. Please take back the beads, although beautiful, and give me my heart’s desires.”

At this point my, husband intervenes, “Son, why don’t you head up stairs so Mommy and I can chat using words like: overreaction.”

“Seriously,” I argue, “You can’t honestly ( I know...slightly ironic ) believe he ‘found’ the bracelet in our couch.” 

At that precise moment, the older teenage girl who I am the co-parent of, enters the room. “Oh, great, you found my bracelet” she said, much to my dismay. She then explained that her friend brought it back for her as a souvenir from Mexico.

Okay, so maybe I won’t win Mother of the Year, but I may win the the Oscar for the Most Heartfelt Apology award.

No comments:

Post a Comment