Monday, March 4, 2013

Hello and Happy Monday

           I usually try to have a funny and entertaining story for you because my goal with this blog is to amuse you and bring some humor to the sometimes frenetic, sometimes mundane job of parenting. However, this week myself and my amazing team of cohorts have been busy finalizing details for the book and getting our website ready to launch. If all goes as planned, you should be able to go to Amazon to purchase the book and www.itsnotrocketsciencepeople.com to view the website within 24 hours of this post!
          In foregoing the entertaining tidbits of my crazy life, I thought that you might be interested in how this literary adventure came to fruition. It began at a dinner party. It was one of those events us mommies usually appreciate because we have been trapped in the universe of little people so long that the idea of conversation, cocktails, and the company of other women/mommies makes us drool with anticipation. The all girl event had my fellow moms and I giddy with feelings of camaraderie, freedom, and honesty as we swapped stories of wifery and motherhood.
          After the dinner had been served and the dessert had been devoured, a lovely, well-seasoned, Mormon mother who had ten children came over to introduce herself. As she shook my hand, she declared that she thought that I should write a book. She explained that although she knew that I was trying to be humorous, she actually thought my ideas about parenting were clever. She  said that I helped her realize that many of the things she thought about parenting, or felt guilty for were actually normal. Parenting is enormously rewarding but it is also exceedingly more difficult than we could have imagined. Thus, because of a dinner party and a compliment, a book was born.
          Now, a little background information for you; I have never thought of myself as a writer. Lacking interest in literary pursuits, I didn’t pay real close attention to the rules of grammar and have thanked the computer gods regularly for developing spell check. This writing thing is not as easy as one might think. The book took me approximately two years to write, rewrite, and write again. Finally, when I felt it was as good as I could possible get it, I hired a friend of a family member to edit it. She probably is a very nice person. I wouldn’t really know because after ten pages she politely quit. Once I relocated my self-esteem, I decided that maybe I should interview and hire a professional to edit my masterpiece. 
          Our first choice for editorial guru was J.K. Kelley, and it was possibly the first right turn we made on the literary highway. We chose him because he didn’t try to placate me with misplaced compliments about my writing abilities. He was always very honest and forthright about his opinions and explanations as to where I had veered off the written path. I am positive that dragging my dirty literary butt out of the metaphoric laundry mat was challenging. I am deeply grateful for his assiduousness (thank you thesaurus) because the final product is something we are immensely proud of.
           Following his tutorial advice, we learned that the next step was to hire a proofreader, other than himself, to catch any further errors or omissions in grammatical technicalities. We contacted our second editorial genius, Jackie Getz, and begged her to revisit our literary endeavor with a critical eye. This was our second right decision. Where J.K. Kelley is the lemony vodka in the lemondrop cocktail, Jackie Getz is the sugar. I chose J.K. originally because I am an impatient kinda girl who wants to cut out the bullshit and get to the point. I tend to be a bit pragmatic in my approach. During the original interview, Jackie said exactly the same things J.K. said, she just said them softer. In fact, she has graciously agreed to edit all the blogs you read here and all the content on the website as well.
           Now we are ready to publish. It has been quite a journey filled with frustration and excitement. I hope that you find the book informative, clever, and funny. I hope it creates a dialog for you with your partner, your friends, or even yourself about how you parent. The title is It’s Not Rocket Science, It’s Parenthood!
          Warm regards and happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! You did it! So happy for you. Awesome to say you are a published author. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete