Monday, January 7, 2013

The Days of the Week



          My sister is smarter than she looks.
            I was talking to her on the phone one recent afternoon, when her daughter started screaming in the background.
           “Just one sec, sis,” she says.
           “Hey, silly girl,” she whispers to her beloved oldest child, “you forgot - it’s No Yell Sunday”.
           “What is No Yell Sunday?” I solicit curiously.
           Well, it seems my sis got a little frustrated one afternoon. After a day of endless fighting, infinite clutter, regular back talking, and continuous lying she called a family meeting.
           At some point during this attempt to reduce some of the craziness in her life, a remarkable idea was born; Days of the Week. Oh, this is not a average days of the week transformation. We’re not singing cute little songs around here. This is a serious and momentous thing.  Life altering!
           Are you ready?  Here it is:
                       No Yelling Sunday
                       No Fighting Monday
                       Pick Up After Yourself Tuesday
                       No Lying Wednesday
                       No Back Talking Thursday
                       No Name Calling Friday         
                       No Whining Saturday
           I praise her cleverness, “You are one smart cookie!”.
           At that very moment, in the background, I hear my dearest niece quietly calling her brother a jerk.
           “Well, it isn’t No Name Calling Friday,” My very witty Sister declares laughing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment