Monday, January 21, 2013

You Have a Phone Call


           Nooooo…… I mentally groan after I receive the first phone call of the day. ‘It’s going to be a long day’ bounces around my brain.
            I grab the phone and answer before the first ring is even complete. “Hello?” I ask, hopeful that it is not the other kid calling to establish his side of the event.
            “But Mom…” is all I hear before I hiss into the phone, “Stop this nonsense right now. I can’t have you calling me at work for this crap.”
            Do your lively little puffalumps do this to you? Do they call you constantly at work to referee their disagreements? Do they trap you on the phone to debate the things they know you don’t allow just because you can’t really get into a long drawn out discussion? It is so aggravating and yet what can you do?  You can’t threaten to drown them in the vicinity of your co-workers and employers. You can’t pledge to starve them unless peace follows this phone call. You can’t tie them up and leave them in the trunk while pretending they are at Grandmas.
            “Listen closely.” I whisper, “If you two don’t stop fighting and I have to leave work, I am going to kill you and say that you ran away. And I mean it this time.“
            “But Mom,” says my determined puffalump, “I just wanted to say I love you and have a good day, geez.”
            I think tomorrow’s blog should be about guilt.

1 comment:

  1. My mother used to work with a lady who had two very bad boys. She would hear her co-worker ....at least twice a week..tell one child or the other, she was "going to beat the blood" out of him when she got home. That phrase still just tickles me to death.

    ReplyDelete