Monday, February 18, 2013

Being A Parent Is A Tough Job



            My beloved teenage girl had one of those boring events that we feel obligated to attend because of our parental duties. Somehow, during the hours prior to this event, I must have annoyed that lovely girl of mine because during dinner that evening she politely asked her Dad to attend with her. 
            “I thought that you wanted me to go,” I calmly stated.
            “Nope,” she (just as calmly) stated in return. “I’d rather go with Dad.” 
            “Okay,” I responded, “Have a good time.” 
            “What was that all about?” my partner in this parenthood gig gently asked me. 
            “I guess she’s miffed at me,” I explained, “So she wants you to take her.”
            “Are you alright with that?” he asks, concern etching his face.
            “Absolutely sweetheart,” I laughed, “I didn’t really want to go. It is exhausting trying to pretend you’re not bored out of your mind and even harder to feign interest in the other parents-of-teenagers held hostage by these mind-numbing events. I just feel bad that I upset her today.”
            “Well that’s not really fair,” my husband declared sullenly, “you upset her and now I’m the one being punished…”
            Like I said, being a parent is a tough job. Sometimes being the favored parent is even tougher.

No comments:

Post a Comment