Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Scavenger Hunt

            This week’s blog is going to focus on the brilliance of other mothers who find creative ways to deal with the boredom of their little people and how we can pull from their ideas and experiences. I am always amazed at how brilliant our colleagues in this parenting gig can be.
            Recently, two lovely girls came to our door to acquire something on their scavenger hunt list. I was more than happy to oblige them and making conversation while filling their list request, I asked them about the group they belonged to: youth group, birthday party, girl scouts, etc. I was absolutely astounded and amazed when these lovely young people clarified that they, in fact, did not belong to any such organizations. Their remarkable mother had engineered the scavenger hunt as a way to get their bored little bodies out of the house. Truly an inspired woman!
            In contemplating her brilliance, I decided that I would make a few modifications to our scavenger hunt experience. Since I haven’t checked the registered sex offender list lately, I am only going to send my bored little bunnies to people I know. I also decided to adjust her list because hers consisted of silly items: one red crayon, one shiny new penny, a black button, a deflated balloon, a lollipop, and a feather. My list would be far more enticing. My scavenger hunt list would include: scotch tape (why am I always out of that? I swear I just bought some), toilet paper (because I am always out of that), cough syrup (so I don’t have to run to the store), chocolate (of course!), vodka (I am not even going to try to justify that one), and a crisp twenty dollar bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment